Is it important for you to learn what the signs and symptoms of oral cancer are? All adults should be aware of the risks that are associated with developing oral cancer in Phoenix, what can cause it and how it can be detected. That is where a competent dental professional can help you. Aesthetic Family Dentistry of Phoenix, Arizona is a dental office with caring professionals who deal with each of their patients on a personal level. Specialized care for each person is a given at our practice. Though we conduct several different types of services, one that is particularly beneficial is oral cancer screenings.
Who Should Be Screened for Oral Cancer in Phoenix?
Everyone may want to consider having a screening done, but it is especially a good idea if you are a heavy drinker or smoker or have been told that you are at risk at some point. This is crucial for early detection and to prevent it from getting worse by employing certain treatments that are geared towards fighting this type of cancer.
Symptoms and Signs of Oral Cancer
Do you know the signs and symptoms to look out for with oral cancer? There are numerous that are prevalent with this health issue. It is typically seen in individuals who are 40 years of age or older, though it has been seen in increasing cases of people who are a bit younger. Tobacco and alcohol are said to be serious contributors to the development of this disease. Also, exposure to Human Papilloma Virus version 16 can contribute to oral cancer. Let’s take a look at some of the more common symptoms:
- Bleeding in the mouth that cannot be explained
- Ear pain
- Soreness in the back of the throat, or the feeling that there is something stuck there
- Dramatic weight loss
- Chronic sore throat, hoarseness, or a change in one’s voice
- Loss of feeling, numbness, as well as tenderness and/or pain in the neck, face, or mouth
- Patches in the mouth that are either velvety white, speckled red and white, or red
- A difficult time with moving the tongue or jaw, as well as speaking, chewing or swallowing
- A difference in how your dentures or teeth fit together
- Bumps, lumps, swelling, eroded areas, or crusts that are on the gums, lips, or some other spot in the mouth
It is your best bet to contact your dentist immediately for an appointment if you notice more than one of these symptoms. Bleeding gums are a sign of something being wrong, even if it is an issue with brushing your teeth incorrectly. Speak to your dental health professional to determine if there is something more serious going on. The earlier you find it, the better your prognosis. Aesthetic Family Dentistry uses only the most state-of-the-art technology for their oral cancer screenings. This is known as Identafi, and it is specifically for finding the cancer earlier than other methods. You can learn more about by visiting our website to make you more at ease when you go for this screening. Also, be sure to share this article with loved ones who can benefit from it.